Sunday, May 16, 2010

Youth is wasted on the young

Yesterday was an early morning driving over an hour through town up further into the mountain to a park called Piliguin...somewhere I had not been in 11 years. There we had a youth retreat activity...the group leading four break out sessions on how to handle the differences between the secular world and Christian world in...music, worship, community, and sex/relationships, involving both the Honduran and the US teens to talk about that, learn from each other, and prayerfully be changed and to be a change in their greater areas of influence.

After lunch, it was time for futbol, as always. After about an hour and a half...the US team was victorious 7-6. I am not sure who was more surprised. Some of the women in the group took the opportunity since they did not want to play to spend more time with some of the other Honduran women and try to connect even more.

That night was youth group, which was good for some more interaction and furthering connections, and then a great night of debrief, music, and laughter.

I received a letter from a brother who is currently incarcerated for being in the wrong place in the wrong time. He included a PS that still has me thinking...."The ones that suffer the most are God's children" Valerie maintains I have said that before myself. I may have...it just gives me great pause to think, especially after Friday's activities and what the woman receiving the wheelchair told us about suffering. I will be thinking about this for a while. Do you have any thoughts about that?

No comments: