Friday, December 5, 2008

Parts is parts

I am overwhelmed. Why blog then dunder chief? Well, it is cathartic and that helps. So if I have to take time to do this, so be it. Besides, despite my most pessimistic abilities, I do in fact know there are people that either check this blog or subscribe to it (did you know you can do that? I do it for several blogs I otherwise would forget to check on a regular basis) and alter their prayer life accordingly, so here I am.

One might say this picture took great pains to achieve. Certainly pains for Roberto working on the Musso (all safety equipment was, as always, OSHA approved*) My only "pain" was in the moolah department. Parts for the Musso ran $900. I have yet to be charged for labor...but it will be considerably less than that. The Defender's bill so far is a new belt and tensioner (with more parts I am supposed to get "cheap" from the US ($300 for a drop arm?)) plus it is off at the electrician's shop right now getting the doors fixed (it is a problem when only the driver door opens) and the auxiliary lights working again. At least it worked fairly well (and apparently hard) while Valerie drove it the month I was gone, and besides, being British, one expects to have a wee bit of electrical gremlins always reminding you of whence it came. And the Ford...so far, so good. It has a tendency to not want to start, especially cold...I think it is electrical, or glow plugs...not battery related (we just bought new batteries this year...that is right, I did write batteries. That big diesel requires two batteries putting out at least 130 amps per.) Sooner or later that will get some attention as well.

Did I post a picture of the new clinic progress? I have not, shame, shame on me! You can see the bars are on the windows (those are not the windows themselves...they will be installed later, when everything is secure.) Also continuing is misc. box setting, plumbing, etc. work as well as the important stucco/finishing work mostly inside. The interior big, bulky, safe, front doors should be installed right quick, and that will give us an actual secure facility!
Currently....we are stymied by pex. Pex is the system we are using for watering the clinic. I am sure you appreciate my deeply technical plumbing terminology. It would seem that somewhere in the past year or so that we had the copper fittings and such at the clinic...that someone absconded with them, presumably for the scrap value since pex is not extremely popular here...yet. (Want to know more about pex? See www.pexinfo.com for a quite scintillating look at the wonderful world of all things pex. Now, back to our blogging) So we are delaying the continuing work on the inside of the building until we can get those parts from the US (rather salty here don't ya know.) Fortunately, Mark and Susan are coming on the 18th, so we shant have to wait too long. After that gets done, pouring the floor comes next (well, part of it will already be poured...we need the floor in the waiting room done to host the mission's ever growing Christmas party on the 19th) electrical work will resume when Mark is here, and then we start working on many more of the other touches throughout January. It will be a wild ride for sure, but with God's help, and a wee bit more money, we should be able to finish on schedule.

Between all that, I am supposed to get caught up on all the paperwork done, or rather undone by my compatriots while I was in the US, finalize working contracts for the staff for next year, figure out what we are doing on Reina's house and how she is repaying us, supervising the new clinic and the staff requested changes to the interior, and the list goes on. I really do praise God though for that list, and for the opportunity to do all this. If I stop and think about it...it is so far beyond me, so inconceivable, what else is there to do? So I keep pressing on...which I believe we are exhorted to do somewhere.

No comments: