Saturday, October 8, 2011

Spiritual post it notes in my brain

1.  I have not ready all of Crazy Love...somehow though I stumbled upon this paragraph from the book:

"The fact is, I need God to help me love God.  And if I need His help to love Him, a perfect being, I definitely need His help to love other, fault-filled humans.  Something mysterious, even supernatural must happen in order for genuine love for God to grow in our hearts.  The Holy Spirit has to move in our lives. 

2.  A quote from David Livingston (missionary to Africa in the 1800s) "People talk of the sacrifice I have made in spending so much of my life in Africa....I never made a sacrifice.  We ought not to talk of 'sacrifice' when we remember the great sacrifice which He made who left His Father's throne on high to give Himself for us." 

3.  I heard a song in a movie recently.  Again, my first thought when I actually read the lyrics were of a beautiful song to God who opened our eyes through no part of our own...no acceptance, no smart move or acknowledgement on our part, just God being God:

Golden leaves looked brown to me.
The world had less color without you

Shapes in the sky looked plain to my eyes.
The world had less color without you
I know plenty of people with eyes closed
they don't see you like I do
Darling I do

Notes on the keys meant nothing to me.
The world didn't sing without you
Birds in the trees fell silent for me.
The world didn't sing without you.
I know plenty of people with eyes closed
They don't see you like I do
Darling I do
Darling I do
Darling I do see you.

4.  And thinking of that I think of a post I was spurred to put on Facebook after the outpouring of seeing "RIP" posted in regards to someone who died this week, someone who it is generally believed not to be a believer (but of course not totally known...that is left to God only to know 100%) and that song reminded me of those feelings of my breaking again:

"RIP...only those who rest in Christ rest in peace. My heart breaks more hearing about those who have presumably died without His peace...and I pray for those who do not have it, that Christ would enter those hearts and work His miracle of grace, mercy and love."

5.  I deserve to rot in hell for my sins.  God gave me mercy and saved me from it by punishing Jesus on the cross for my sins.
    
Even still, I had no perfection to fulfill His law, but rather was completely imperfect and do not deserve to spend eternity with Him.  God gave me grace, Christ lived fully the law in my stead.

Being a sinner, I do not deserve to be loved by a perfect Heavenly Father.  But God chose to make me His son, and chose to love me anyway. 

So how am I?  I am better than I deserve.

Amen!

No comments: