Thursday, June 4, 2015

Metaphorical bugging

I really like TGU, aka Toncontín International Airport, aka our Tegucigalpa airport. 

One thing that has bugged me, on a metaphorical level, for years is when we see groups, friends, relatives, etc. off at the airport. 

We wait for them to go through security to make sure they do not have any problems, and then usually we stand near the spot where this picture was taken, to try to wave to those walking through the glass hallway on the way to their gate. 

What has constantly amazed me is how few people even look to their left when walking down this hallway at all, let alone that look as if someone might be waving, greeting, etc.  I would guess less than 10% easily. 

I am not saying it is expected or a social convention...that is not what bugs me.  I get it.  They are focused on the harrying nature of travel, of getting to the gate, etc. 

I guess what bugs me sometimes, on some metaphorical level, when I really think about it...seeing people floating above the ground, walking through towards a bright light...maybe sometimes people I love walk away and not notice me...it is more a reflection on what a part of me feels happens with God sometimes...in those times I do not "feel" Him around...the times I want to wave and get a wave back...a wave of "What is going on?"  "Are you there?"  "What am I supposed to do?"  "Do you really love me?"

This is of course, garbage thinking (to borrow a phrase from David Wilcox)   Most of those people care...and God so much more so. 

I am not alone it seems in struggling with this.  A quick search of the Bible, left with us to remind us..."Hey doofus delicti, God is with you and loves you...read this!" proves a bit helpful...who would have thunk it:

Joshua 1:9  "...be strong and courageous.  Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

Deuteronomy 31:6 "Be strong and courageous.  Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you.  He will not leave you or forsake you."

Isaiah 41:10 "Fear not, for I am with you;  be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Psalm 139:7-10 "Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me."

Psalm 23:4 "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." 

Jeremiah 23:23-24 “Am I a God at hand, declares the Lord, and not a God far away? Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the Lord. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord.

There are many more...give them a look-see the next time you feel that way.  I think I will try that myself, or maybe come back here for a reminder as well. 

No comments: